Sunday 17 August 2014

Week 18 17-08-2014 Birds Spotted: 0 Winter Is Coming



After my birding bonanza last week, a selection of work and generally feeling a little under the weather has meant I didn't get a chance to go out this weekend.

I'm not too disappointed though as a new bird season is about to start. Mainly migration time. You'll have probably noticed that Swallows, Swifts and Martin are all getting less common, rarely tearing the skies apart with their harsh screams. They're some of the earliest birds to migrate south for the winter, but more will be joining them.

Over the coming weeks I'll be regularly patrolling Arne, Radipole Lake, Portland Bill and Longham Lakes, in the hope that I'll spot not only are departing summer species, but the many birds that are crazy enough to winter here. The following two months are also a good time for travelling birds, so I'm hoping to hit at least 30 more birds by the end of October.

I'm also a lot more aware of bird patterns compared to the start of this blog, so am beginning to realise when the windows of opportunities to see certain birds appear.

So there we go. Not exactly the greatest updates, but over the next few weeks I'll be certainly looking at the skies to spot the many birds that find our British winters far to cold to stay here. I suggest you do the same and join me.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your patrolling Darran, look forward to the results(-:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bob, I think I've found a good patch, so I'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete