Wednesday 3 September 2014

A Trip To Longham Lakes


As I'm on holiday this week I decided to take a trip down to Longham Lakes. It's a fantastic location for viewing birds, thanks to two huge ponds, one of which is heavily stocked for local anglers. There's a large number of different species to be found there, with the occasional waders appearing as well. Although I didn't see any new birds, I still managed to have a great walk and saw a surprising number of birds. Here's the ones I saw on my two hour walk.

A Grey Wagtail on the way to Longham.

Tufted ducks were still breeding.

And I continue to mistake them for Scaup.

There were a large number of Coots.

A Mute Swan preens itself.

Or simply hung out in groups.

Great Crested Grebes continue to thrive.

I love their little tufts.

A Red Admiral shot via my Powershot X50

Not all Mallards were in eclipse plumage.

Although this one was.

Cormorants were plentiful.

Providing some nice flyby shots.

Herons were also in large numbers.

This one kept flying ahead of me.

Eventually upsetting some Tufted Ducks in the middle of the lake.

A juvenile Great Crested Grebe.

A disturbed Buzzard takes flight.

More Grey Heron action.

A fuzzy Little Grebe.

A butterfly I don't recognise.

Another Great Crested Grebe.

More Mallards.

A Carrion Crow flying home.

A preening Tufted Duck.

A young Moorhen.

Yet another Heron.

Guess who!

A Wood Pigeon.

And we finish things off with a Collard Dove.

Hope you enjoyed the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment