Sunday 6 September 2015

Kingfisher Blow Out

I headed down to Blashford Lakes this morning as I wanted to test my new lens and was hoping to get views of a kingfisher. Lots of people had the same idea as the hide was completely packed with just enough room for me to sit down. Once I got there I realised I'd forgotten my tripod, meaning I struggled to get super sharp shots. A couple of Kingfishers did turn up and despite the noise from many of the other lenses, they happily fished for a good couple of hours.


Initially it turned up at the far end of the hide.. I was glad for my 1.4 teleconverter.


This is probably one of the best shots I took and it's barely cropped too. I love the reach of this lens.


I'm a little too high for this shot so he looks dumpier than usual.


This shot was just after he did a little poo. It's probably a little too soft if I'm honest.


This is the first time I've ever been too close to a Kingfisher. It was right at the low end of my lens. Moving back I ended up getting some of the hide in the bottom of the shot :(


Look at the size of this fish! Annoyingly, the focus seems to be on it :P


He  spent a good couple of minutes beating it to death and the other photographers were going crazy with shot.. I still managed this with just a couple of shots at a time.


You'd think that after this he wouldn't be hungry, but he was back about ten minutes later. Greedy bird.

While some of the shots are good I'm still in need of a lot of practice with this lens. I think I need to keep practising and choose an acceptable shutterspeed too. 

My focus was pretty much on Kingfishers all morning, but I did head to Longham in the afternoon. Sadly, many of the birds were far too far away, being 60-70 feet out. No new birds this week, but hopefully that will change for the weekend.


This Reed Warbler was hiding in the reeds.


I quite like this Mute Swan shot, but it might be a little overexposed.


A Black-Headed Gull. I wouldn't want to say how old though.


Lots of juvenile Coots were active.


Adults were rarely far away.


Tracking gulls in flight isn't easy.


A group of distant Tufted Duck.


Lazy Cormorants on one of the floating rests.


Very distant Great Crested Grebes. I must have saw around 15.

I find exposure on Swans really tricky.


A pair of Black-Headed Gulls.

No comments:

Post a Comment