Sunday 7 December 2014

Week 34 07-12-2014 Birds Spotted: 1

It was a pretty poor week for me this week. Despite spending plenty of time at Arne and Hengistbury Head, I've struggled to take decent shots. Pretty much anything I take at great distance is extremely blurry, meaning I've little decent to share this week. I'm unsure if it's my technique or the pathetic low light (the sun set at 4pm today!) but what I do know is that it's not a great time of the year for taking photos. Still, I did get one new bird, so here it is.

Avocet
It's another record shot due to it being extremely far away. Still, there's no mistaken this incredibly striking bird. The flagship bird of the RSPB used to be something of a rarity in the UK, but it's numbers have slowly increased since its return in the 1940s. It's a medium-sized wader with distinctive black and white markings and a long upcurved bill. Around 7,500 birds winter here each year now and it successfully breeds at various strongholds throughout the UK.


Not the greatest shot, and the image is blurry, but it's an Avocet.


Another shot, highlighting just how deep the water was.

So that's it for another week. I'm now up to 126 photographed birds, with another 146 to find.


I saw another Dartford Warbler at Arne.


As well as a very distant Marsh Harrier hunting.


Brent Geese were numerous.


And there were lots of Godwits and Teal about.


I caught up with a Pied Wagtail at the barn.


And so another at the head.


There was a distant Pheasant in one of the fields.


And I spied a Goldcrest in the woods.


Black-Headed Gulls were numerous.


I caught a Wood Pigeon taking off.


And discovered an inquisitive Carrion Crow.

No comments:

Post a Comment