Tuesday 9 June 2015

Year Two - Week 1 New birds spotted 2

Hi there everyone.
I'm still deciding on whether to go back to ticking birds I saw in my first year, but in the meantime I'm aware I've not done much updating. I've decided to start the year afresh for the time being, carrying on from my original tally.

Whitethroat
Although I saw one last year, I didn't get a decent photo of this summer migrant so didn't include it. I've seen two in the last couple of weeks, one on Hengistbury Head, the other at Devon Cliffs, but they're both strictly record shots. Despite the distance you can clearly make out the Whitethroat's distinctive white throat and I was able to confirm it further by listening to its call. It's found throughout most of the UK during the summer, wintering in Africa. In addition to its obvious colouring, this warbler is easily recognisable thanks to its wagging, constantly cocked tail. I was hoping to see a Blackcap, but the Whitethroat was a fine alternative.


It's a record shot, but it's not a bad one...

Kittiwake
This was disappointing. We'd gone down to Devon Cliffs and I visited the beach with my friend. As I was walking over to the nature board, I was called over by Paul as he had bumped into a friend we'd not seen since our childhood. Suitably distracted I forgot all about the board and was content to catch up and take a photo of a lone gannet. I didn't bother taking my camera the next day as I was convinced the gulls on the cliff were Herring Gulls (they were  everywhere around the park). Big mistake.
It turns out they were Kittiwakes, true seagulls that only come ashore to breed. After I discovered this information I clambered over the rocks and got as close to the Kittiwakes as I could without disturbing them, taking a photo on my iPhone. It's a naff shot, but you can clearly identify the beady eyes and yellow beak so that's good enough for me. I'll be more prepared next year...

Taken with my iPhone!


Taken with a 1.4 teleconverter. This is the largest colony in Devon apparently.

So that's it for new birds. I'm now up to 134 birds with another 138 to discover :) I'll leave you with some random shots.


A lone Gannet that passed over the beach.


Quite pleased with this Magpie shot.


An inquisitive Rock Pipit.


A Dunnock takes a break from singing.


I'm assuming these are young Herring Gull chicks.


An adult Herring Gull.


And another? I don't know gulls at all.


A cute rabbit I spied.


And another Herring Gull...














No comments:

Post a Comment