Sunday 8 January 2017

Patchwork Challenge Trip 2 (8th January) 40 Birds

Chasing more birds

Martin Wood, who also takes part in the Patchwork Challenge at Longham is ill at the moment so it's given me an opportunity to potentially pull ahead of him. I generally need it, as he's an excellent bird watcher who spotted 95 species last year to my 74. Get well Martin and I'll see you on patch shortly.

The weather was absolutely lousy when I reached Longham and plenty of mist was rolling across the lake, making any identifications at long distance rather tricky. The car park was relatively quiet but I did see Blackbirds, Blue Tits, Chaffinch and other small passerines. There was nothing in the adjoining fields though.

I purposely used a low shutterspeed on this Great White Egret to create a sense of movement.
I immediately spotted one of the Great White Egrets fishing and decided to walk around North Lake,. leaving the causeway for later. I spotted a second great egret fishing with some little egrets and flushed a grey heron which was on the other side of the boat house. I checked the horse fields but saw nothing unusual.

I stopped to chat to some of the local fisherman and discussed the Egrets with them. They also mentioned they were trying to get access to the second lake, which is the first I've heard of this news. I feel there's enough room on this one for them, but I'm not a fisherman, so didn't push the point.

Little Egrets are always common around the lakes and are dwarfed by the Great Whites.
Walking to the corner of the lake I scanned for Bullfinches but again saw nothing. The hampreston fields behind the lake were also devoid of birds, with not even a Rook or Carrion Crow to be seen.

By now I was on the back of the lake scanning the ditches for snipe, woodcock and godwits, but aside from a sizeable flock of Wood Pigeons, found nothing of note. In fact the back fields in general were surprisingly quiet with only a small number of Mute Swans (15) and no geese or gulls. The fields aren't really flooded either, which might have explained the lack of birds.

I spent ages watching this Great White Egret fish. This is my favourite shot by far.
I stopped for a good twenty minutes to watch one of the Great White Egrets fish and then carried on my trek. I heard Blackbirds, Magpies and Robins, and saw plenty of Wrens, tits and finches, but nothing I hadn't already seen. In short it was proving to be a bust.

The causeway was equally quiet, so I made my way down to some viewing spots of the large island on South Lake. I was immediately rewarded with a small flock of Lapwings. I find viewing of this island very difficult as you really need a scope, but I can at least check pics with my camera.

I could really do with a scope to view the birds on this island. You can see the Lapwings though.
There were a large number of gulls on the railings, as well as a Great White Egret, which was rather odd to see, but they were all Black-Headed. I didn't bother checking South Lake as the rain was starting to come down again, but I did notice a general lack of gulls when the lake is normally heaving with them.

The front fields yielded a large number of House Sparrows, making them my second new bird of the day. Feeling a little invigorated I once again walked along the path by the boathouse, hoping for a Green Woodpecker in the nearby field. I didn't spot one, but I did flush a Moorhen, which flew off to the far side of the lake, making my third bird of the day, and the 40th of the year. It's going well so far...
House Sparrow were my second new bird for the day. I'm not far behind you Martin!

Lots and lots of Black Headed Gulls. I shot at f11 to get as many in focus as possible.
I love how photogenic Great White Egrets are.
An unusual resting place for one of the Great White Egrets.

The Birds Of Longham 2017
Robin
Carrion Crow
Mistle Thrush
Blackbird
Great White Egret
Magpie
Coot
Little Grebe
Great Crested Grebe
Tufted Duck
Mute Swan
Cormorant
Little Egret
Wrens
Great Tit
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Wood Pigeon
Feral Pigeon
Mallard
Pochard
Redwing
Long-Tailed Tit
Starling
Chaffinch
Song Thrushes
Canada Geese
Black-Headed Gull
Herring Gull
Jackdaw
Gadwall
Teal
Snipe
Pied Wagtail
Coal Tit
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Lapwing
House Sparrow
Moorhen

No comments:

Post a Comment