Friday 23 May 2014

Birds In Flight



There's something amazingly graceful about birds in flight (or Bif as bird photographers call them). I've been practising taking photos of birds for the last couple of weeks and am finally getting to a stage where I feel comfortable with the end results. I'm not into the photoshop side of things yet (which I'm aware you really need to use to make your images pop) but I'm more concerned at the moment with just having a eye for what makes a interesting shot.

Birds can be gracefully, powerful and elegant, but they always look astonishing when you really look at them in flight and realise just how impressive they are. Whether it's a heron beating across a pond with measured deliberate strokes, or a skittish warbler flitting from tree to tree, I can watch them for hours.

Here's some of my more recent attempts at capturing birds in flight. Hopefully, once I'm able to get my hands on the Canon 400mm lens I'll be able to take even more impressive images.

An early shot I took of a Carrion Crow. This was taken at Hengistbury Head.

I thought this was a Mediterrranean Gull, but it's the more common Black-Headed Gull. Oh well.

I snapped this pair of Mute Swans flying over the river at Throop.

I think this really shows off the majesty of the Grey Heron, but it's very overexposed. Still learning I'm afraid.

Sometimes you get the best shots when you least expect it. This Mallard was coming in to land right in front of me and made for a very comical image.

Swallows are difficult birds to capture as they're so fast and graceful. I'm pleased with this one though.

I quite liked this image as it's a surprisingly clumsy look for an otherwise graceful bird.

You'll often get blur on a bird's wings but in the case of this Willow Warbler it gives a great sense of movement.










No comments:

Post a Comment